Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tarantula.

Story time:

It was about 2:30 in the afternoon and it began to rain. 
Right in time for dismissal.
My cooperating teacher had bus duty. 
Rainy-day dismissal had been called.
It was decided that I would stay inside wtith the class while she went out in the rain.
Bless her heart. 
But the feelings were mutual by the end of the day.

All of the students were sitting on their desks waiting for their bus or name to be called over the intercom. 
We were playing quite ball. 
I fail at quite ball.

Out of nowhere, literally nowhere...silent ball...
A student screamed, "A SPIDER!"
I, along with the 20 other students crowded around the desk. 
I got in front and calmed the masses. 
I looked down and didn't see anything. 
Then, it moved.

A friggen tarantula inside the classroom.
I didn't know what to do.
I was looking for a container to capture it in.
I couldn't find one.
I decided to take of my shoes, my favorite leopard print shoes.
I scooped the darn thing up in my shoes and began to scurry down the hallway towards the door that led to freedom for this tarantula.
Maybe that's translated as selflessness?
You know, not killing the darn thing and all...

So, as I am running down the hallway,barefoot, carrying my shoes in my hand, I looked back to notice something:
My entire class was following me. 
Parents were in the school.
I saw the PE teacher and ran to him.
In panic, I told him that there was a tarantula in my shoes.
I asked him to take it outside because I couldn't leave my students!
So he did.

End of story...Not so much...

One particular student's parents were in the room and witnessed this entire ordeal.
I was so embarrassed when they both came in for their parent/teacher conference today.
You see, I cannot remember what I said. 
I might have screamed.
I might have cursed.
I have no idea.

Embarrassed, the incident was brought up.
They said that I handled it very well.
I didn't scream.
I didn't curse. 
I just got rid of the darn thing and went back to my job.
Vindicated?  Relieved? Just satisfied that I am not out of control when a trantula is in my classroom?
Yes.

My cooperating teacher says that I passed my test. 
Win.
Now I just have to pass the AEPA on November 20th and I will, apparently, work for Obama.

And just a side note:
I am not scared of spiders, really.
It was just a shock.
Really.
I swear.
I mean, I didn't freak out! 

Friggen tarantulas, stay out of schoolz.


No comments:

Post a Comment