Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bored. Blood. Boooooo

Besides homemaking, gardening, and running, I have not had much to do.
Usually I spend time with my nephews; chasing them around Sam's Club without pants:




But today, my venture at the mall play-place turned in to an experience.
You see, my sister, April is really good at talking me in to things.
Today, she talked me in to donating blood.  

Let us rewind 7 years....
I had organized blood drives for my Young Women Recognition project(s) at 15-16 years old. 
Finally, when I turned 17, someone else in my ward had organized a blood drive and I decided to do it!
First time....
Needle burst out of my arm and blood squirted everywhere.  
I got poked at least 5 more times after that.
I even found this awesome pic in my archives of awesome to show:

Not only were my clothing choices excellent, I also looked like I enjoyed shooting up heroin.  
Since that occasion above, I found out that I am blood type O- which is very good.
But I never gave blood since. 
It was a bit traumatic.

Fast forward to NOW...
April?  
In and out in 10 minutes. 

ME??
40 minutes after being hooked up to the needle, I finally filled my 600 mL.
40 freaking minutes!

They were going to pull it out at 400mL because I had stopped pumping blood...was I dead?
But if I didn't make the 600mL, it would be good for nothing and thrown away.
But I persisted, withstood the twisting of the needle countless times in my vein, lost feeling in my entire arm, and turned a gross shade of green.
BUT I MADE IT!


And apparently I will have saved three lives!

YAY for summer adventures?
PS: once the bruises have set in, I might post some more.
They said it might bruise from my shoulder down to my wrist.
But I am still going running tomorrow:)

No comments:

Post a Comment